The Cathedral and College

The Cathedral of The Isles, Millport, is Britain’s smallest Cathedral and dates from 1851. It was built on ground owned by the Boyle family, and its founder, George Frederick Boyle, later became Sixth Earl of Glasgow.

Cathedral and College

The Cathedral of The Isles

The Cathedral is one of a group of buildings comprising two residential buildings (colleges) and a collegiate church designed by the famous English architect, William Butterfield. Planned as a theological college for the Scottish Episcopal Church, in its early days it was seen as a ‘new Iona’ and in 1876 it was consecrated Cathedral of The Isles.

How to find us at Millport, Isle of Cumbrae

Millport is easily reached from Largs. Take the short Caledonian MacBrayne ferry crossing from Largs Pier to Cumbrae slip, either by car or by foot. There is a connecting bus for the short journey to Millport. On the bus, ask for ‘The Cathedral’ and alight at College Street. The Cathedral entrance is on College Street. This entrance is for those arriving by foot only.

Approaching by car, keep going beyond the Cathedral gates on College Street and there is a concealed entrance in the wall on the right a short way up. 

Privacy policy | Small print